- Have the following factors been taken into consideration in preparing the passage plan?
– Advice/recommendation in sailing directions
– Ship’s draught in relation to available
– Effect of ‘squat’ on underkeel clearance in shallow water.
– Tides and currents.
– Weather, particularly in areas renowned to poor visibility.
– Available navigational aids and their accuracy.
– Position-fixing methods to be used.
– Daylight/night-time passing of danger points.
– Traffic likely to be encountered-flow, type, volume.
– Any requirements for traffic separation/routering schemes.
– Are local/coastal warning broadcasts being monitored?
– Is participation in area reporting system recommended including VTS?
– Is the ship’s position being fixed at regular intervals?
- Has equipment been regular checked/tested, including:
– Gyro/magnetic compass.
– Manual steering before entering coastal waters if automatic steering has
been engaged for a prolonged period.
– Radar performance and radar heading line marker aligment.
– Echo sounder.
– Is the OOW prepared to use the engines and call a look-out or a helmsman to the bridge?
– Have measures been taken to protect the environment from pollution by the ship and to comply with applicable pollution regulations?
– Other checks.